Run a Who Needs Feminism? campaign in your community and reclaim the ‘f word’!
It’s easy! Simply write down why you need feminism, take a photo and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org – and it will be uploaded to the Who Needs Feminism in the UK Facebook page and Tumblr. Even better – grab a white board or some plain paper and ask people in your community – whether it be in your school, university or workplace – to do the same. The results are moving, inspiring, and a powerful counter to the claim that feminism is done and dusted.
This awesome campaign was started by 16 women at Duke University in the US. It’s since been taken up by activists around the world, including in the UK: the fantastic Oxford University SU Women’s Campaign, students at Leeds Met University and pupils at Fortismere School have all run their own versions of Who Needs Feminism?
> LIKE the ‘Who Needs Feminism in the UK’ Facebook page to see images collated from around the UK, and get planning your campaign!
HOW TO RUN A ‘WHO NEEDS FEMINISM’ CAMPAIGN IN YOUR COMMUNITY:
- Choose the date and location of your photo-shoot. Pick a place and time when there are likely to be lots of people around.
- Gather props and equipment: whiteboard + pen (or you could use a black-board or pieces of blank paper) and a camera. You may want to prepare a flyer telling people how they can stay in touch and/or other ways they can get involved in feminist campaigns.
- Make sure everyone involved in the photo-shoot is fully briefed. You might want to prepare a loose ‘script’ for what you will say to people and how to respond to possible questions.
2. HOLD YOUR PHOTO-SHOOT
- Approach people and ask them to write a personal statement about why they need feminism. Encourage participants to come up with their own, but go equipped with a few previous examples and statistics on women’s equality in case they need a bit of inspiration.
- Ensure participants are fully aware their photo will be uploaded onto Facebook and other social media sites.
3. SHARE, SHARE, SHARE!
- Email your photos to email@example.com and they will be uploaded to the WNF in the UK Facebook page and Tumblr.
- If you have loads of photos to send you can send them using dropbox. To do this upload your images to a Dropbox account (they’re really easy to make at http://www.dropbox.com/) and put them in a Who Needs Feminism at [your school/organization/etc.] folder. Once you’ve uploaded your images, select the folder and right-mouse click to hit “get link”. Copy and paste the link that Dropbox generates and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you’re part of a group that has a Facebook page create an event and upload the photos. Encourage participants to tag themselves and save their photo as their Facebook profile picture. Tweet pictures using the hashtag #wnfuk.
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ‘WHO NEEDS FEMINISM’ CAMPAIGN!
Other ways to help spread the word:
- Media work: reach out to local media outlets, such as local or student newspapers and radio stations.
- Organise a follow-up event – such as a speaker meeting or discussion group – and publicise it to participants in your campaign.